Medical waste can be generated in many different places. From your local schools to research facilities, medical waste is not an uncommon occurrence.
That being said, medical waste is mostly generated by healthcare facilities. The medical waste that is generated within healthcare facilities is about 85% general, non-hazardous waste comparable to domestic waste. The remaining 15% is considered hazardous material that may be infectious.
The major sources of healthcare waste include:
- Hospitals and other health facilities
- Laboratories and research centers
- Mortuary and autopsy centers
- Animal research and testing labs
- Blood banks
- Collection services
- Nursing homes
Other than healthcare facilities, medical waste is generated in a wide array of different industries and personal usage. With in-home care steadily on the rise, medical waste produced at one’s home has increased. This can range from caring for the elderly to post-surgery in home care to people with common diseases using needles in their treatment.
© MedPro Waste Disposal, LLC, 2020. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and MedPro Waste Disposal, LLC with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.